- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced into rings and separated
- 1/4 small butternut squash (about 1/2 lb), peeled, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme (1 tsp dried thyme)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 oz extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (1 c)
- 1 refrigerated rolled pie crust
- 1 egg, beaten
Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, toss onion, squash, thyme, oil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper; fold in the cheese.
Working on a piece of parchment, roll the pie crust into a 14″ circle. Slide the paper (and crust) onto a baking sheet. Spoon squash mixture onto pie crust, leaving a 2″ border. Fold the border of the crust over the squash mixture.
Brush crust with the egg. Bake until crust is golden brown and vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes. (Cover edges with foil if crust is getting dark). Serve with a salad, as desired.