- 2 pounds ground beef 80% lean
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 2 (15 ounce) cans medium spiced Bush’s chili beans
- 2 (15 ounce) can hot spiced Bush’s chili beans
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 green jalapeno peppers, partially seeded and chopped
- 3 strips of cooked bacon, finely chopped
- 4 cubes beef bouillon
- 1 cup beer
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (green chile habanero)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos(R)
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat a large (8-10 qt) stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
- Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.
- To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips and shredded Cheddar cheese.
This makes a LOT of chili. You could halve it and still have plenty. This yields a pleasantly spicy chili, but could be made hotter as desired. You can modulate that by the amount of seeds retained from the jalapeno and the amount of cayenne and/or hot pepper sauce used.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 pound chorizo sausage, chopped
- 1/3 pound cooked ham, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (1 pound) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 small hot green chile pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 mango – peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
PREP: 15 mins COOK:30 mins READY IN: 45 mins
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the chorizo and ham 2 to 3 minutes. Place the onion in the pot, and cook until tender. Stir in garlic, and cook until tender, then mix in the sweet potatoes, bell pepper, tomatoes with juice, chile pepper, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir the beans into the pot, and cook uncovered until heated through. Mix in the mango and cilantro, and season with salt.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- pinch red pepper flakes (or a lot more cayenne – 1-2 tsp)
- 3 c peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb ground turkey (or use canned chickpeas for vegie version)
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 chunky peanut butter
- 1 (14 oz) can unsweetened lite coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- chopped cilantro as garnish (optional)
- chopped unsalted peanuts as garnish (optional)
Heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 6 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder and red/cayenne pepper, and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in sweet potatoes, chicken broth and tomatoes and bring soup to a boil. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1/2 Tbsp oil. Add the turkey and cook, breaking up clumps, until the turkey is cooked through. Drain and season with salt and pepper.
Whisk the peanut butter and coconut milk into the turkey. Add this mixture and the brown sugar to the soup, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and peanuts, if desired.
- Calories: 410
- Fat 23 g
- Carbs 31 g
- Protein 25 g
- fiber 6 g
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
4 (6-ounce) red potatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup prechopped onion
1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 bacon slices, halved
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions
1. Pierce potatoes with a fork. Microwave on HIGH 13 minutes or until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly.
2. While potatoes cook, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk; add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; stir often. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
3. Arrange bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a paper towel; microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Crumble bacon.
4. Discard potato skins. Coarsely mash potatoes into soup. Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.
CALORIES 325 ; FAT 11.1g (sat 5.2g,mono 4.5g,poly 0.8g); CHOLESTEROL 27mg; CALCIUM 261mg; CARBOHYDRATE 43.8g; SODIUM 670mg; PROTEIN 13.2g; FIBER 3g; IRON 1.3mg
Be sure to use smoked Spanish chorizo, not raw Mexican chorizo.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
2 ounces Spanish chorizo sausage, finely chopped
1 cup prechopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
2 (15-ounce) cans organic cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups prechopped kale
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cracked black pepper (optional)
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chorizo to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
2. While onions cook, pour broth into a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH for 3 minutes. Add hot broth and beans to pan; bring to a boil. Partially mash beans with potato masher. Stir in kale and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook over medium heat 6 minutes. Sprinkle with cracked pepper, if desired.
CALORIES 235 ; FAT 7.3g (sat 2.1g,mono 3.4g,poly 1.2g); CHOLESTEROL 12mg; CALCIUM 157mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.7g; SODIUM 586mg; PROTEIN 13.4g; FIBER 7.6g; IRON 3.5mg
Pink Lady apples are wonderful for applesauce, and so work very well in this pureed appetizer soup. Sweet Fuji or all-purpose Spartan apples would also lend themselves nicely to the dish.
Yield: 8 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 1/2 cups chopped peeled Pink Lady apple (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 1/2 cups chopped peeled parsnip (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1 cup apple cider
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 teaspoons crème fraîche
1. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add apple and the next 4 ingredients (through garlic); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add parsnip, chicken broth, and apple cider; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until parsnip is tender.
2. Place half of parsnip mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat the procedure with remaining parsnip mixture. Stir in salt and pepper. Ladle about 3/4 cup soup into each of 8 bowls; top each serving with 1 teaspoon crème fraîche.
CALORIES 136 ; FAT 5.6g (sat 1.6g,mono 2.6g,poly 0.6g); CHOLESTEROL 5mg; CALCIUM 30mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21.2g; SODIUM 381mg; PROTEIN 1.8g; FIBER 4.2g; IRON 0.7mg