- 6 to 8 large banana peppers
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (could use less)
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, diced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 to 16 bacon slices (takes more than one package if you really want to fully wrap peppers)
- could add bread crumbs to soak up some of the cheese?
How to Make It
Pre-step: works well to partially cook the bacon before wrapping the peppers
Cut a slit lengthwise in each banana pepper, cutting to, but not through, other side. Remove seeds.
Combine cheese and next 6 ingredients. Spoon mixture evenly into each pepper, and wrap each with 2 bacon slices; secure with wooden picks. Place peppers on a rack in a broiler pan.
Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden.