- 1/2 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers (about 3 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon dry-roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 ounces red potatoes (about 2 medium), cut into (1/8-inch-thick) slices
- optional: add 1/2 c thinly sliced onions and 1/2 c thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 – 1 cup shredded asiago or other dry cheese
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Combine bell peppers, almonds, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, red pepper, and garlic in a food processor; pulse until smooth. Set aside.
3. Combine the potatoes and 1 cup water in a skillet over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 4 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Drain. Don’t overcook because they will have a chance to brown later.
4. Combine half-and-half, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, eggs, and egg whites in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Heat a 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add potatoes to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Add spinach; sauté for 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add egg mixture to pan; cover and cook for 4 minutes, gently shaking pan occasionally. Sprinkle the cheese on top and broil tortilla 4 minutes or until top is lightly browned and center is set. Cool slightly; serve with red pepper sauce.
Nutritional Information (doesn’t include the cheese which I added)
- Calories 246
- Fat 16 g
- Satfat 3.9 g
- Monofat 8.6 g
- Polyfat 2 g
- Protein 13.3 g
- Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Fiber 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 282 mg
- Iron 2.4 mg
- Sodium 579 mg
- Calcium 71 mg