- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 (5-pound) boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
1. To prepare pork, combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl. Rub sugar mixture evenly over pork. Let pork stand at room temperature 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 225°.
3. Place pork on the rack of a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Pour 1 cup water in bottom of roasting pan. Place rack in pan. Bake at 225° for 1 hour.
4. Combine 1/2 cup vinegar and ketchup in a medium bowl; brush pork with ketchup mixture (do not remove from oven). Bake an additional 3 hours, basting every hour with ketchup mixture.
5. Pour remaining 1 cup water in bottom of roasting pan. Cover pork and pan tightly with foil. Bake an additional 3 3/4 hours or until a thermometer registers 190°. Remove from oven; let stand, covered, 45 minutes.
6. To prepare sauce, combine 3/4 cup vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with a whisk. Boil 5 minutes or until slightly thick. Shred pork with 2 forks. Serve with sauce. Serve shredded pork on hamburger buns with pickle chips, if desired.
Yield: 16 servings (3 oz pork and 1 Tbsp sauce)
- Calories: 283
- Fat: 15.4g
- Protein: 26.2g
- Carbohydrate: 8.1g
- Fiber: 0.4g